The end of splitting

We ended up having a good splitting season. Winter loss was considerable, but the surviving bees came through strong enough to start a lot more hives. We will be safely north fo six hundred colonies this year.

In the images below, I am shaking the bees off three frames of brood and putting them in a third deep box–then we set the third box over an excluder to allow the bees to come up but keep the queen down. Then we can take that third box, give it a new queen and end up with a new hive for the season. This hive had a lot of bees.

This picture is from a hive that I split into four different colonies–it had 12 frames of brood and a ton of bees!

And for the fun picture of the spring–Alex discovered an old plastic queen cup that got turned horizontal, and the bees used it to raise a drone! I like this picture :)

I hope your splitting went well also!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.