We’ve had several heavy bouts of rain recently. The highest precipitation amounted to about three inches, and that was just the start. The bees had just been getting into high gear in terms of honey production, so that was a disappointing turn in the weather. White sweet clover is opening this week, so we are getting into the timeframe that is usually our best honey flow. Hopefully the weather is more kind during the next month.
In the meanwhile, I’ve turned my attention to getting the buildings at the new place more functional. The little one that will mostly be a storage space for bottled, creamed, and comb honeys is first on the agenda. It began with this lovely mix of leaky rolled asphalt and tar:
After several hours of effort from three people stripping off two layers of ugly, we got down to some decent wood:
In the end, Alex and I got up the steel replacement that had a heavy-duty trial run over the next 36 hours when it began to rain pretty seriously:
Now we just hope the bees can get out on the clovers and trefoil to bring in the next crop in sufficient quantity to fill up our building space. The bloom is nearing its peak, though we often don’t get our best honey until it is slightly past its most visually impressive stage. As always, we will see how it goes.