Splashy surprise........

by Jorge

I awoke and encountered a dampened world. Last night I pulled up to the Ebert Honey House at 11:30 p.m. and needed to make a decision. I could go home and rest from a day of splitting and moving bees, or I could gather some more equipment and move another dozen colonies to their new location. The variable in question? Rain or no rain. I bet "no rain" and lost. It didn't get so wet that I could not get into a few places to work today, but those dozen splits still sit over excluders at the bottom of a hill. Curses. Tomorrow I will attempt to finish the job.

We had some of the best weather of the year this afternoon. The bees went a little crazy filling their pollen baskets--one of them tried to land at the entrance but ended up on her back and basically immobilized. Now the brood will really get roaring.

Splitting begins!

by Jorge

After the interminable winter and frequent rains, splitting new colonies from the old hives is behind schedule. I finally got some nucs made this afternoon, but first I shook the last thirteen 3lb. packages that came out of California via Larry Draper. I will feel relieved to put queens in the nucs tomorrow. It feels better to have them installed than sitting in a shipping box or a queen bank. With any luck the rain will hold off another day and I can hit a number of yards and really make a dent in our stock of homeless monarchs.

Our splitting method doesn't take a lot of expertise. We just pull three frames of brood from the decent colonies, shake the bees off the frames, and put them in a brood box over an excluder. Then the bees come up to cover the brood and we can take away the new box, give it a queen, and leave the parent colony to rebuild strength. The main advantage to this method is saved time--you don't really look for the queen. Stronger colonies can spare more brood, but then there are the really weak colonies to account for as well. I am really curious to calculate our hive count at the beginning of June. Let us hope for many bees!

Too cloudy for bees

by Jorge

For the record, seventy degrees is too warm to have a two pound package totally blocked up. The bees were more than ready to have some fresh air at those temperatures. I had partially unblocked the entrance before I opened the lids, otherwise a lot more bees would have wound up in the air. I sprayed them with syrup again to keep more of them down on the frames.

I also have the distinction of my first accidental queen murder. I rapped a queen cage on the top of bare frames to knock the bees off. Guess who walked underneath the cage as it struck wood? Goodbye queenie.

Speaking of questionable maneuvers, we got the flatbed unstuck yesterday afternoon. We hauled the Swinger over to pull it out, and one of the newish trailer tires went flat as soon as we arrived. Just a lucky streak? Now I must admit that I forgot to take the camera for a picture of the sunken truck, but I'll make up with a couple of package bee pictures.

Now it looks like a rainy day, so I'm off to organize some boxes for splitting when it turns dry again.

Package bee delight

by Jorge

At 6:00 Sunday morning six hundred packages from California arrived at our place. Half the garage was filled with cages. A couple of days later the bees are all at their respective homes and the garage sits empty. The neighbors stopped to ask why so much traffic flowed into our driveway :) They came back with a camera to capture the bee garage for posterity.

I spent yesterday shaking our fifty packages in heavy wind. I thought it might go a lot worse, but the bees went into the hive bodies instead of the air. This was our first experience with 4lb packages containing two queens. I used a garden sprayer to wet them with diluted syrup and did my best to get two pounds of bees into each hive. It seemed to go quicker with two packages of bees held in one box--fewer parts to handle in the course of shaking. I always fear that the packages won't like their new home and end up hanging in the trees, but I kept them out of the air with enough syrup to keep them from flying during installation. The only downside to my experience yesterday involved shaking until dusk, and that meant the occasional loose bee stopped flying and started crawling into all the openings in my clothing. Ouch. Today I'm going out to unblock the entrances and release the queens.

The other project for the day? Free the flatbed before the rains return to night. We shall see.

Six tires down

by Jorge

We are now in day 4 of the flatbed sinking into the mud twenty miles from home. Twenty-five yards from the line of hives the tires started to spin, so I backed around to face downhill. The plan was to go do my work and have an easy escape, but instead the hillside sucked the truck into the ground. Two-wheel drive truck no move. Now we shall see how many dry days we need to pull it out. In the meanwhile, everything gets transported in the less convenient half-ton hauler.... I'll try to remember to take a picture before we pull it out--it's a candidate for one of those things to laugh about later.

<< 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 >>